WeTu Innovations and Operations Coordinator Job vacancy in Kenya 2019
Career Employment WeTu Innovations and Operations Coordinator Nairobi Kenya June 2019
We are hiring an Innovations and Operations Coordinator!
WeTu is a social enterprise in the Lake Victoria region. Our vision is to improve lives in rural Kenya by creating sustainable solutions through innovative products and services targeting key needs of rural populations: energy, water and mobility. We leverage German technology to drive innovations and improvements in rural lives using a business model.
To deliver our service to our clients and closely interact with them to understand their evolving needs and interests, WeTu operates a hub model. Currently our hubs are located in Mbita, Homa Bay, Sori, Sindu, Nyandiwa, Ragwe and Hongwe and have modern state-of-the-art German water filtration technology and solar equipment.
We currently have two successful product lines which we are planning to grow through franchise or other business growth models:
Water services: We provide clean and safe drinking water at a competitive price, and carry out sanitation and hygiene trainings to raise awareness.
Solar lanterns: Omena fishermen use our modern and safe technology, which helps them save money while having an environmentally friendly source of light while working at night on their boats.
We are now introducing a third product line into the market, to meet the mobility needs of rural businesses and families in a sustainable, clean and climate friendly way. Starting with e-cargo bikes, charged by solar, we will close the last-mile transport challenge in the communities we work in.
Over time we plan to pilot and introduce other electric transport solutions such as e-motorbikes and boat engines. With reduced CO2 emissions and costs, the environmental and social impact for rural locations will be significant. The design of the vehicles enables local production, leading to job creation and a sense of ownership among local communities.
After 10 years of operations, we recently rebranded to WeTu and are a team of about 20 staff in the seven locations and in Nairobi and Munich, Germany where the board of the company is located.
About the Role
We are looking for an energetic Innovations & Operations Coordinator to drive the launch of our e-mobility services, spearhead innovative business models with a base of the pyramid approach and coordinate all related activities in Kenya.
You will develop business models in the e-mobility sector for local clients; build and manage partnerships with crucial stakeholders such as local bodaboda associations; draw relevant insights from the pilots, and lead the scale up of the operations.
We are looking for a self-driven candidate with strong commitment and high energy who is excited to pilot new and exciting business models in Western Kenya!
Location of employment is Mbita or Homa Bay with regular travel to other hubs (Sori, Sindu etc.).
Your responsibilities will include:
Support the development of business models for e-Mobility services
- Research and think through different user groups, business cases and payment models
- Create and manage partnerships for the pilots on the ground
- Think through pricing by understanding market dynamics locally
- Research information and collect data which will be used to plan and evaluate the business models
Piloting of business cases
- Plan and oversee all activities related to testing out various business cases in our hubs
- Collect data from the pilots, ensuring completion and quality. Analyse the data, interpret it and draw first insights about our products and the customers’ feedback.
- Participate in team meetings and call with stakeholders in Germany to analyse the success of the pilots and draw learnings for a potential business model.
- Training hub staff in the tasks required.
- Managing relationships with partners and customers, gathering feedback that can be used to improve the product or model.
- Regular visit of pilot hubs to see how the new products are being taken up and gather insights from customers and the team (e.g. once a week).
- Regularly discuss insights with the management team and draw conclusions how to improve the product, payment model and operations.
Scaling and roll out of new segment e-mobility
- Design implementation and roll-out plans, based on learnings from the piloting/testing
- Put procedures in place that allow growing the number of customers and products in circulation
- Coordinate with the hub managers to ensure the new product is smoothly integrated into existing operations
- Monitoring of business operations, including through regular visit of hubs in the region
- Marketing the product through relevant strategies and partnerships
- Building strong relations with customers to increase satisfaction and gather feedback
Continued Innovation and Improvement of the business model and its operations
- Continually understand needs and interests from customers
- Develop further use cases/business models in areas such as solar battery powered appliances for agriculture and fishing
- Develop and implement own/further ideas
What we are looking for
- You are excited about working in a social enterprise, understanding the rural customer and pushing innovation in rural development through business approaches to change lives.
- You see potential and opportunities in WeTu’s products. You are entrepreneurial and have a deep drive to see a business grow.
- You have at least 3-5 years of work experience in business development, operations, introducing a new product in the market or similar roles with strong results
- You have experience working in rural/peri-urban setting and feel confident working with bodaboda operators, local fishermen, and other local user groups
- You are willing to travel regularly to the various hub locations in the area
- You enjoy a customer-driven job and stay energized through constant people interaction.
- You know how to ask the right questions and listen deeply to understand people’s situations, needs and desires.
- You have strong relationship building skills.
- You are very organized, with good time management.
- Past experience managing others is preferred, and you have the skills to build effective working relationships without being in the same place.
- Good writing skills: professional emails, actionable meeting minutes and concise project and research write-ups.
- Past experience in designing a project in partnership with the local community or clients. (Understanding of design thinking or user centric design principles are considered a plus.)
- You know how to capture sales data in Excel and make basic analysis
- You are self-driven and know how to make things happen with minimal supervision
- You anticipate issues and have a proven track record of being resourceful in complex environments, like distributed, virtual or international teams
- Interest and past experience in clean energy or technology innovation is a plus
- You have excellent Computer and Microsoft Office skills
- You hold a bachelor degree in business studies, social sciences, and economics or related.
You fit into our culture if:
- You are excited about moving a social enterprise forward and to implement state of the art technology and business models
- You are passionate about sustainability and new forms of transport
- You enjoy working in a peri-urban environment with different locations to pilot innovative business models
- You learn fast and adapt quickly to new demands
- You enjoy working with various clients as well as an international board
Why work with us?
- Be part of driving socio-economic development through business expansion and growth in Homa Bay, Migori and Siaya County
- See the results of your work and leave your footprint: shape, pilot, test and implement innovative business models yourself
- Work in a value-led organization
- Exposure to research and technology partners from Germany and other places
- Health insurance
The role is based in either Mbita or Homa Bay.
Our staff is spread over the seven locations so regular local travel is required.
Ideal start date is August 2019, as we are starting our pilots on the ground soon.
We are looking for candidates who want to grow with us and are ready to commit to at least two years.
There is a three-month probation period and we will agree on performance and learning objectives.
Want to apply?
Read this candidate guide with tips on our selection process: http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
Apply through the application form under this link: …
You will be asked to upload your CV as part of the application form. Make sure it is in PDF format, no longer than 3 pages and relevant to this role.
The selection process will include interviews, a personality test, a written case study exercise and a visit to Mbita for finalists.
Recruitment process in partnership with edge performance