Jun 2016 Job Vacancy ZanaAfrica For Creative Director in Nairobi Kenya
Job Career ZanaAfrica For Creative Director in Nairobi Kenya
Career Vacancy: ZanaAfrica For Creative Director in Nairobi Kenya
ZanaAfrica Group Limited
Position: Creative Director
Employment Type: Full-Time Employee – 12 Month Contract
Compensation: Salary commensurate with qualifications
Reporting Structure: Reports directly to the Chief Branding and Marketing Officer
About the Role: ZanaAfrica Group is looking for a master storyteller and creative thinker to join our team as our new Creative Director.
We’re looking for someone to join us in building a powerful movement – the Nia Movement – that supports girls and women in Kenya to define and live their purpose across their lifetime through access to feminine hygiene products coupled with safe spaces to learn about their bodies and their choices.
The Creative Director will play a key strategic role in leading the development of all creative communication elements for the Nia Movement, including brand design, product packaging, events, marketing campaigns, health education resources (digital and analogue) and other supporting initiatives.
S/he is responsible for establishing and implementing brand guidelines and leading the creative team across all products, making sure that the entire lifecycle of a projects—strategy, concepts, development and testing—is aligned to the brand core values.
We’re looking for someone who can harness the power of the incredible creative team talent – a group of writers, illustrators, designers and researchers– to ensure our goal of equipping girls and women with the tools they need to live healthy lives is effectively delivered and reaching our target audience.
S/he should be an experienced project manager, a great listener, have a strong visual and editorial eye, have an intimate knowledge of industry trends and a passion for girls and women. Join us!
Culture: We’re a small group of bold, smart, dedicated individuals from diverse backgrounds who are passionate about changing the landscape for girls and women.
We’re a tight knit team of big thinkers and dreamers who are constantly pushing ahead, innovating, and moving fast to have the greatest impact. Join our team and be a part of building a groundbreaking and exciting movement.
ZanaAfrica values girls and womens’ right to choice in their reproductive health management, including access to family planning and abortion services.
Any hired candidate will be expected to represent such values internally and to external partners.
Develop and implement the brands and creative elements that bring the Nia Movement to life
- Create strategic plans, guidelines and value propositions for ZanaAfrica Group, Nia Movement and related brands with the Branding & Marketing Officer and other team members.
- Build ZanaAfrica’s existing and future product brands and oversee initiatives including package design, marketing campaigns, events, health education platforms (digital and analogue) as well as multimedia digital channels.
- Develop and present concepts for products, campaigns and other related initiatives
- Test, edit and iterate all products through consumer insights and other monitoring and evaluation activities with the Chief Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
- Establish timelines and work plans for the phased development of products, campaigns and initiatives
- Coordinate and manage the creative and product teams to ensure delivery of high-quality work in line with brand guidelines
- Work closely with the creative team to identify, determine and engage best practice and partners in order to drive and deliver Nia branded products within the set guidelines and timelines
- Build partnerships across sectors to engage in creative mechanisms to share the Nia Movement as widely as possible
- Track trends and insights locally and globally
Ensure connectivity to our customers and movement-makers through social media
- Lead the development of a digital media plan with the Connectivity Specialist for all social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter); oversee execution of social media plan
- Work with Graphic Designer to ensure all visual assets are in compliance with Nia Brand Guidelines
Manage visual storytelling activities and ensure they are in accordance with brand and movement principles
- Work closely with the Production Director ensure each issue of Nia Teen Magazine—our health and lifestyle magazine for young adolescent girls—is harmonized for content and visual aspects
- Coordinate with Production Director to ensure completion of deliverables for
Supervising Illustrator and Graphic Designer to create artwork and graphic elements for the Nia Teen Magazine
- Oversee and ensure the delivery of high standard/quality Nia products by 3rd party suppliers (production and print houses).
- Direct Graphic Designer in building layout, infographics and any other visual elements
- Oversee Supervising Illustrator to ensure completion and clarity of the comic
- Provide art direction with Supervising Illustrator and Production Director to any photo shoots to generate needed photo assets
Qualifications + Requirements
- BA in Communications, Marketing, Design, Advertising or related field
- 6+ years of experience in creative industry and/or consumer products, experience working with an FMCG a plus
- 2-3 years of leadership in creative project management from conceptualization to execution; previous experience in publishing is a significant plus
- Strong creative conceptual skills with experience to implement robust brand building strategies across analogue and digital platforms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both English and Kiswahili, including the ability to articulate creative concepts to team and stakeholders
- Expert Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite; Strong foundation in design and visual sensibility
- Strong planning and organizational skills; ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously
- Well-versed in women and girls’ issues, reproductive health and human rights
- Comfort across range of channels: digital, photography, video, paper based content, etc.; Intimate understanding of design, copy and web best practices
- A strong understanding of brand development and multi-platform engagement concepts; highly engaged in social and cultural trends in East Africa and Globally
- Excellent interpersonal skills; Comfort and professionalism in interacting across different sectors to engage in creative partnerships
- Unapologetic belief and passion for girls and women’s rights
- Fluent Kiswahili highly preferred
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience.
Actual salary will be dependent on qualification and anticipated contribution to the company.
ZanaAfrica Group is an equal opportunity employer.
It is our strong belief that equal opportunity for all employees is central to the continuing success of our organization.
To apply, please include the position title and your name in the subject line of the email and send your CV, Cover Letter and Portfolio in PDF format to email@example.com along with a link to your LinkedIn profile and/or website.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS AND APPLICATIONS NOT IN PDF FORMAT WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted on a rolling basis.