Vacant Position: Legal Assistant
Number of Positions: One (1)
Background: We are a leading geophysical service company engaged in seismic data acquisition, processing and interpretation for the Oil and Gas industry in Kenya.
Job Purpose: Support the organization through effective provision of legal advisory services and ensuring compliance with relevant legislation.
- Draft standard and specialized contracts, correspondences and other legal instruments; review and negotiate contracts to which the company is a party and ensure their execution
- Liaise with external counsel and advise the company on legal aspects of contracts and dealings with client organizations, sub-contracted firms and other key stakeholders
- Review cases, gather information and update case progress; make oral presentations and prepare case reports
- Research on past cases, investigate facts on current cases and provide suggestions related to ongoing proceedings
- Regularly update the law library with legal publications
- Advise the company on labour – related cases when they arise
- Work closely with external counsel in preparing legal cases, monitor progress and ensure prompt dispute resolution; follow up on court cases involving the company and attend court hearings on behalf of the company
- Attend execution of wills, real estate closings, depositions and court trials
- Perform legal due diligence and liaise with external counsel on legal matters pertaining to the company
- Keep abreast of and be knowledgeable on the Constitution and all laws affecting the company and the legal environment in which the company operates
- Ensure proper filing of all legal documentation
- Prepare letters for annual audits
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports for the legal department
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Legal Manager
- Bachelor’s degree in Law (LLB)
- Post-graduate diploma in legal studies from the Kenya School of Law
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya
- Possesses a current LSK practicing certificate and be of good standing
- Two to three (2-3) years post-admission work experience in providing legal services, preferably in oil and gas or construction industry
- Key Skills and Competencies
- Knowledgeable in relevant legislation
- Excellent legal document drafting abilities
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent report-writing skills
- Ability to prioritize work and deliver high quality output within tight deadlines
- Attention to detail
Include the names of three (3) referees with their current telephone and email contacts.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: Friday, 27th February 2015.
Note: DO NOT attach certificates or testimonials.