Nov 2017 Job Employment Legal Action Worldwide For Legal NGO Internships
Job Vacancy: Legal Action Worldwide For Legal NGO Internships
Career Employment: Legal Action Worldwide For Legal NGO Internships
These people are those who often have the greatest need for protection and assistance but are also those who have the least access to legal resources. Most of the time, they do not know that legal assistance exists and often do not know what their options are for legal redress.
Since its establishment, LAW has focused on regions experiencing conflict, such as the Middle East and the Horn of Africa, and on key themes, such as sexual violence and accountability for security forces.
LAW is currently advertising for a Nairobi based legal intern. The position will be for six months and include a small stipend to cover travel and lunch costs.
Functions/Key Results Expected
The Legal Intern will assist in legal research and drafting, management of social media, attendance at meetings and involvement in fundraising and drafting of applications. The Legal Intern will perform duties and responsibilities in accordance with the objectives and activities mentioned below:
Legal NGO Internships Responsibilities
- Conduct thorough legal and factual research on human rights issues and situations in Somalia, South Sudan and globally, as assigned by the supervisor.
- Draft responses to inquiries from LAW stakeholders about the human rights situation in certain countries, the relevant legal frameworks and how human rights challenges should be addressed;
- Assist legal staff in drafting training manuals, presentations and other materials to support LAW legal program development.
- Analyzing and summarizing legislation and policy documents and jurisprudence;
- Maintaining a database of relevant jurisprudence and keeping it up to date with legal developments;
- Any other duties as specified by the Legal Advisor or the Executive Director of the organisation.
Qualifications for the Legal NGO Internships
- Bachelor’s degree in Law; a Masters in Law is preferred;
- At least one year’s experience in working with international, humanitarian, human rights and/or environmental law;
- Demonstrated experience in working with an organisation that reports to donors, preferably including experience in drafting donor reports and writing concept notes and applications;
- Understanding of the Somali context and culture would be an advantage;
- Understanding of protection and displacement issues in conflict and post-context would be an advantage;
- Must have excellent organizational skills and excellent analytical skills;
- Experience planning and coordinating international conferences, roundtables and seminars would be an advantage;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and strong technical literacy;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work on own and take initiative; demonstrated experience working remotely;
- Excellent research and drafting skills;
A demonstrated understanding of international human rights work and experience working with international NGOs is strongly preferred
How to Apply
Deadline for submission: 27 November 2017
Start date: January 2018
Duration: 6 months
Stipend: LAW is able to provide a stipend per month for the internship.
Kindly send all applications to email@example.com, with the subject ‘Legal Intern’