Jun 2017 Job Description Catholic Relief Services for Project Officer (WASH) in Kenya
Job Vacancy: Catholic Relief Services for Project Officer (WASH) in Kenya
Career Description: Catholic Relief Services for Project Officer (WASH) in Kenya
Background: The Archdiocese of Mombasa cover Mombasa, Kwale, Taita taveta and part of Kilifi County.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas.
In response to the drought emergency in Kilifi and Kwale Counties, the Archdiocese of Mombasa in partnership with CRS intends to provide support to the affected populations.
Primary Function: The Project Officer – WASH will lead the implementation and monitoring of all emergency WASH activities in Kilifi and Kwale Counties.
- Work closely with the Caritas Mombasa emergency project staff to conduct community needs assessments.
- Lead the identification and design of WASH related infrastructure, while working closely with relevant line ministries to ensure all appropriate approvals are sort.
- Offer technical support in the engagement of civil works contractors.
- Supervise WASH construction including pipeline extensions, borehole rehabilitation and small scale irrigation scheme.
- Work closely with emergency maintenance teams to coordinate emergency repair of water points.
- Lead hygiene promotion activities and ensure close collaboration with County Public Health Officers.
- Train water user’s associations/management groups on sustainable management of water schemes.
- Work closely with local WASH suppliers and artisans to establish a sustainable goods and services supply chain for water schemes.
- Establish and sustain hygiene promotion in selected schools in the target communities.
- Prepare construction site briefs, trip reports, hygiene and sanitation promotion activity reports and offer input for the compilation of periodic donor reports.
- Actively participate in periodic project review and learning meetings.
- Collect all WASH related monitoring and evaluation data and ensure consistent updating of M&E worksheets.
- Contribute to the work plan review and monthly cash forecasting.
- Caritas Director.
- Emergency Coordinator.
- Agriculture and Livelihoods Officer.
- Finance and procurement departments.
- CRS’ emergency project staff.
- Local and international NGOs implementing WASH activities in the County.
- County government relevant departments.
- Higher National Diploma in Civil or Water or Environmental Engineering or any other related field. A degree will be an added advantage.
- 3 years’ experience in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene programing preferably in Arid and Semi-Arid regions in Kenya.
- Experience in design and construction supervision of water supply system.
- Experience in sanitation and hygiene promotion.
- Advanced computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and basic working knowledge of CAD software.
- Demonstrated ability to work in partnership with local communities and County governments as appropriate.
- Ability to prioritize multiple work demands in high-stress environments and work effectively and efficiently with minimal supervision.
How to Apply