Career Description: NGO Education/Instructional Officer in Kenya
Education/Instructional Officer Job at Heshima Kenya
Education Officer or instructional coordinator directs and shapes the curricula and teaching processes in GEP. S/he works with department of adult education, Associate Director for GEP, teachers and students councils to come up with the most appropriate curricula to meet the needs of participants. The position holder provides advice to teachers, GEP Associates Director and senior management staff on how to improve participant’s performance and effectively and efficient deliver the curriculum. The position provides training in the use of educational materials and techniques. S/he advises instructors/teachers on how to comply with county, state and national educational standards, as well as working closely with student’s councils to apply the GEP SOPs and regulations. The position will be undertaking research and select textbooks, as well as other educational/instruction materials and order or recommend the purchase of supplies. S/he will research and design educational materials and instructional methods. S/he is responsible for mentoring new teachers, conducting teaching workshops/seminars and observing teachers in the classroom. The position provides constructive feedback based on teacher evaluations. The position supervises Teachers in level 1-4 and reports directly to the Associate Director for Girls Empowerment Program.
- Setting short and medium term education program plans in liaison with the Associate Director-GEP, teachers and other GEP staff, and monitor performance against those plans.
- Providing direct supervision to adult education teachers and vocational instructors and supporting them to achieve their goals as outlined in individual accountability plans.
- Assisting with planning and design of the adult education curriculum and measures of achievement; including collecting data for Heshima Kenya GEP performance monitoring plan, especially with regard to education indicators.
- Overall in charge of classroom supplies i.e., teaching and learning materials which includes: making requisitions on quarterly basis of the required school materials and equipment, distribution of the same to all levels in good time for appropriate utilization,
- Continuing to investigate any existing imbalances in GEP service provision in the girl’s empowerment centers, and designing and implementing initiatives aimed at increasing enrolment and improving retention and performance of girls into the program. Communicate immediately to the Associate Director-GEP any challenges that affect the quality of teaching in the classroom, or hinder meeting project goals and outcomes so that solutions are created and implemented in a timely manner.
- Monitoring progress of learners and working closely with teachers to ensure there is meaningful participation of learners in all aspects of learning.
- Reviewing termly and annual work plans, schemes of work, lesson plans and activity plans of the basic education program for comprehensiveness, clarity and adherence to GEP goals and objectives.
- Overseeing data collection and analysis in order to facilitate accurate and prompt provision of qualitative and quantitative information that will inform management on administrative and policy decision making.
- Provide feedback to the GEP Program Manager, the Senior Programs Manager, and Country Director on learners progress during meetings
- Organize and take part in GEP events, afternoon projects, field trip and any other activities that take place in the GEP.
- Work closely with volunteers, selected and screened by the GEP Program Manager to facilitate one on one tutoring with GEP participants after having identified areas in need of additional work, and provide materials and support to volunteers as necessary.
- Identify and develop working relationships with external adult education programs and testing centers for HK participants who may pursue Kenya Primary Certification outside GEP campus. Coordinate and monitor participants’ progress and attendance in said programs
- Complete enrollment and individual assessments for each GEP participant. Maintain standardized and unit testing and evaluation schedule in classroom providing updated scores and evaluations to the Associate Director-GEP on monthly basis.
- Support the GEP team with any other support if and when requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in education. A master’s degree will be an added advantage
- Over two years of track record is institutional management
- Good communication and interpersonal Skills
- Team player
- People management skills
- Knowledgeable on adult education curriculum, education reforms and law in Kenya
- Clear understanding of education policy and implementation
- Skills in education leadership and curriculum concept
Your application should be send to the address below indicating the position applied in the email subject by close of business Tuesday 6th April 2018. It should include a cover letter & a detailed CV (as one document in PDF format and given your sir name) with your contact details, details of current and expected remuneration, names and contacts of three referees, one of which should be your current supervisor.
Please note that Heshima Kenya does not charge any fees for receiving or processing job applications. Heshima Kenya is an equal opportunity employer.
NB. All applications should only be send through the email provided.
Heshima Kenya/ RefuSHE
P.O Box 63192 – 00619 Nairobi Kenya
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.