Career Application: Community Empowerment Coordinator in Kenya
The Government of Kenya has received financial support from International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and the Spanish Trust Fund for the implementation of Upper Tana Natural Resources Management Project.
The goal of the project is to contribute to reduction of rural poverty in the Upper Tana River catchment. This goal is pursued through two development objectives which reflect the poverty-environment nexus:
- Increased sustainable food production and incomes for poor rural house holds living in the project area; and
- Sustainable management of natural resources for provision of environmental services.
The project is in six counties namely: Embu, Tharaka Nithi, Meru, Kirinyaga, Murang’a and Nyeri and is implemented along twenty four (24) river basins and tributaries of the Mt. Kenya East Pilot Project (MKEPP) river basins.
- The project duration is eight (8) years (2012/2020).
- The Project Coordination Unit (PCU) is based at Embu County.
- The PCU is responsible for project coordination and management and ensures that the project is implemented according to the Financing Agreement and the Government regulations.
- The government plans to utilize a portion of the funds to support placement of a Community Empowerment Coordinator (CEC) at the PCU.
The officer will be serving on one year contract renewable annually for the period of the project subject to satisfactory annual assessment.
Interested applicant should be a Kenyan citizen and have capacity to work with minimum supervision to meet strict deadlines as well as working outside normal office working hours.
Community Empowerment Coordinator Job Responsibilities
- Reporting to the Project Coordinator, the Community Empowerment Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating the implementation of Community Empowerment Component activities of the project in line with Project Design Report (PDR).
- Facilitate the planning, management and implementation of the community based mobilization activities of the project;
- In collaboration with the Knowledge Management and Learning Officer (KM&LO), coordinate the awareness creation to stakeholders and beneficiaries on project objectives and implementation arrangements;
- Ensure Revision of Community Action Plans;
- Identify Training Needs for relevant community based institutions and providing support in capacity development;
- Develop and implement a strategy for awareness creation and capacity building on gender equality, participation of women, youth and vulnerable groups in project-supported activities, HIV/AIDS prevention and mitigation, environmental management, and other cross-cutting issues;
- Ensure gender mainstreaming and equality in all project activities;
- Coordinate the preparation of the work plans and budgets, and progress reports for the component; and
- Any other relevant duty assigned by the Project Coordinator.
Qualifications for the Community Empowerment Coordinator Job
- Have Bachelor’s degree in: Sociology/Social Work or Community Development or Public Administration from a recognized university;
- Have Master’s degree in relevant field;
- A relevant post graduate diploma will be an added advantage;
- Have Strategic Leadership Development Programme certificate from Kenya School of Government;
- Have at least 10 years’ experience in Community Development, three (3) of which must be at a senior management position working with multi-sectoral community based government and donor funded projects;
- Have experience in participatory methodologies such as Participatory Rural Appraisal, Participatory Planning, Participatory
- Learning and Action;
- Have Proposal and report writing skills;
- Be able to communicate in English and Kiswahili;
- Have strong Leadership and communication skills;
- Be up to date with government policies and reform process in the relevant sectors; and
- Be computer literate.
- Knowledge and experience in group organizational development
- Knowledge of natural resources conservation and management an added advantage
- Experience / knowledge of gender mainstreaming techniques added advantage.
How to Apply
Short listed candidates will be required to submit clearance from the following Agencies during the
- Higher Education Loan Board (HELB);
- Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA);
- Criminal Investigation Department (CID);
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC); and
- Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
This advertisement is also available at the Project website www.utanrmp.or.ke.
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should send their application letter, detailed CV, copies of certificates and testimonials in hard (online applications will not be accepted) copy to:
The Permanent Secretary
Ministry of Water and Irrigation
P.O. Box 49720-00100
Attn: Human Resources Department. Room No.145
So as to reach on or before 20th December 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews. UTaNRMP is an equal opportunity employer.
Women and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
UTaNRMP is a corruption free project and no one is required to provide any inducement to participate in any of its implementation processes.