International Rescue Committee (IRC) Career kenyas vacancies in Kenya July 2013
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) in Kenya July serves vulnerable populations in the Turkana and Garissa regions as well as in Eastleigh, Nairobi.
The IRC implements programs in the areas of comprehensive primary health care, nutrition, protection, peace building, water and sanitation and hygiene (WASH), HIV/AIDS prevention, response to gender based violence, disaster risk reduction (DRR), livelihoods and governance.
Applications are invited for the following positions:
1. Women’s Protection and Empowerment (Gender Based Violence) Manager – Lodwar
The Women’s Protection and Empowerment (GBV) Manager will be the focal point for IRC’s programming in Turkana County.
With technical support from the Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) Coordinator and Technical Unit, the Women’s Protection and Empowerment (GBV) Manager will be responsible for implementing the GBV program in Turkana County and ensuring that the goals and objectives of the program are met.
He/She will provide technical and line management oversight to the field-based staff of WPE/GBV.
The position reports to the Field Coordinator in Lodwar with technical support from the Women’s Protection and Empowerment Coordinator in Nairobi.
- 3 years program management experience, including at least 1 year in a humanitarian context with GBV focus
- MA/S or equivalent in social science, humanities or related degree
- Good interpersonal and team building skills
- Community education/training experience desirable
- Ability to live and work under pressure in an unstable security environment
- Experience in proposal writing is preferred
- Fluency in English, knowledge of Turkana will be an added advantage
2. Gender Based Violence Psychosocial Counselor-Lodwar
The Gender Based Violence (GBV) Psychosocial Counselor will support the successful implementation of all psychosocial activities, and will be responsible for the provision of quality case management including direct counseling to GBV survivors.
In addition, the GBV Psychosocial Counselor will support training of partners and community health workers to respond to cases of GBV across Turkana West and Central and ensure
effective referral for survivors of GBV.
effective referral for survivors of GBV.
This includes providing ongoing training and utilizing monitoring and evaluation systems to ensure high quality services are available and utilized.
The Psychosocial Counselor will provide the technical guidance and leadership required for the successful implementation of all psychosocial activities
- Social Science degree in counseling and/or psychology; a Master degree is preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of direct psychosocial/counseling experience with a reputable agency; experience working with survivors of violence preferred.
- Clear understanding of gender, abuse of power, and issues surrounding violence against women.
- Able to maintain confidentiality, medical ethics and respect for clients at all times.
- Able to lead, train, supervise, facilitate and motivate other GBV staff in their respective tasks in a professional, respectful and supportive manner.
- Strong knowledge of computer applications, including MS Word and Excel.
- Willing to work in a hardship area.
- Fluency in English, including writing clear and concise reports. Knowledge of Turkana language will be an added advantage
3. Clinical Officer Ophthalmology-Hagadera
Based in Hagadera, the Clinical Officer Ophthalmology will have the overall responsibility for the daily clinical assessment and prescription of treatment for all patients attending the eye health unit.
- • Higher Diploma in clinical medicine- Ophthalmology
- • At least 3 years relevant working experience.
- • Ability to write clear, concise reports and well developed communication skills.
- • Good computer skills (Complete MS Office package and any database management and analysis).
- • Must be a team player, flexible and culturally sensitive.
- • Ready to work in difficult environmental conditions.
- • Ability to accept the possibility of insecurity in the project areas and obey security rules and standard operating procedures
Full Career kenya descriptions can be downloaded at www.rescue.org/careers
To apply please go to http://www.rescue.org/careers and search for Name of the position.
Please apply on or before May 23, 2013
IRC leading the way from harm to home
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.