International Organization for Migration (IOM) Driver Career kenya in Nairobi Kenya 2014 June
Position Title: Driver
Position Grade: G2/01
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: 6 months Special Short Term contract with possibility of extension
Under the overall supervision of the National Procurement and Logistics Officer and the direct supervision of the Logistics Assistant for the day to day technical duties, the incumbent will be responsible for driving IOM vehicles, transport persons and goods authorized by IOM, from one destination to another in a timely, safe and cost effective manner.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Drive IOM vehicles and execute tasks as assigned by the Logistics Assistant.
- Ensure the safety of passengers, cargo and vehicle and observe traffic rules and road discipline.
- Manage the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle to ensure roadworthiness before departure. This includes daily check of tires, brakes, engine oil, fan belt, etc. Ensure cleanliness of the vehicle at all times.
- Collect mail and deliver various documents as planned by the Logistics Assistant.
- Fill in the inspection sheet of vehicle status and share with the Logistics Assistant. Report promptly any defects or malfunctioning of the vehicle that requires immediate attention to the Logistics Assistant.
- Ensure that incase of accident, supervisors are informed and a police report is obtained. In no case should the driver accept responsibility.
- Maintain the vehicle road log sheet including the fuel status and oil changing at all times.
- Follow the rules and regulations of driving IOM vehicles at all times.
- Refuel the vehicle as required.
- Be prepared and willing to work night/weekend shifts as requested and on regular basis.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcoming
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Actively shares relevant information
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the Audience
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Delivers on set objectives within specified time,
- Drives IOM vehicles in a safe manner consistent with local regulations,
- Works effectively with colleagues, government agencies and the broader community to advance the mission’s objectives.
- Completed Secondary School Education.
- In possession of a valid driving license (A, B, C, E class).
- Two years continuous driving experience with a busy organization.
- Completed the Government driving test grade I and II and has a certificate
- Possession of a recent certificate of good conduct from the Kenya Police department.
- Basic knowledge of vehicle maintenance and repairs.
- Good knowledge of routes within Nairobi.
- Good knowledge and working experience with VHF Radios.
- Flexible in terms of working hours.
- Experience in working with UN agencies/ International NGOs/ Tour companies will be added advantage
- Fluent English and Kiswahili
- Advantageous Somali
Somalia Coordinating office in Nairobi
Human Resources Department,
Gitanga Groove, off Gitanga Road
P.O. Box 1810 – 00606
Closing date: 10 July 2014