Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) Career kenya career in Kisumu Kenya July 2013
Job Title: Cross-Project Operations Manager
Ref No: FK-20152013.03.01
Deadline to Apply: Rolling application process
Start Date: May 1st, or as soon as possible
Kisumu, with up to 50% travel
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a rapidly growing, global organization, and operates in almost 40 countries.
We design innovative, cutting-edge approaches to solving development problems, rigorously evaluate these programs and promote the adoption of those with proven impact.
IPA-Kenya (IPAK) is IPA’s oldest country office, and the site of many of its most influential research projects.
IPAK employs more than 300 contracted staff working on 20 different projects across offices in various locations around Kenya July. IPAK is also the site of IPA’s largest “scale-up” projects – including a national de-worming program and community-based chlorine dispensers.
The Cross-Project Operations Manager will be responsible for managing country office operations that support both the general administrative needs of projects and select field/project operations.
They will manage IPAK administrative staff (e.g. Administrative Officers in each of our 5 administrative offices) and work closely with IPAK’s Research Managers and various project managers to identify project support needs and ensure efficiencies are achieved for field research/scale-up implementation.
The Cross-Project Operations Manager will participate in in IPAK senior management discussions as appropriate.
This position will be based in Kisumu, with monthly travel to IPAK’s Nairobi office (likely 1 week a month) and regular travel around western Kenya July to visit our Busia, Kakamega and Bungoma administrative offices as well as field offices and project field activities.
This position is estimated to require up to 50% travel.
A two-year commitment is necessary.
The Cross-Project Operations Manager will be responsible for the following activities:
- Project Operations Support: support Research Managers in select field logistics planning and budgeting; providing advice on operational issues such as creating vehicle and procurement plans, planning to set up field offices and providing general costing assessments.
- Support Project Permitting: work with the Deputy Country Director to manage the acquisition of ethical approvals and research permits for projects.
- Coordinate Office Administration: supervise the Administrative Officers/Assistants to ensure that IPAK’s five major offices are managed efficiently. This will include, but is not limited to: overseeing adherence to office budgets, determining solutions to concerns raised by projects, ensuring safety and security standards are met, and leading negotiations/relationships with landlords.
- Supervise Procurement for Country Office: supervise the Procurement and Administrative Officer (PAO), and oversee the general implementation and continuous refinement of IPAK’s procurement systems.
- Vehicles and Transportation: lead creation and maintenance of vehicle pools, working with a team to ensure competitive, reliable drivers.
- Manage other IPAK Administrative Services: ensure core administrative services provided by IPAK to projects, managed through AOs, are carried out effectively and efficiently. Examples include travel and visitors’ logistics, events planning/coordination and the maintenance of internal IPAK communication systems.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s level degree in Business Administration or related field with at least 5 years of steadily progressing management experience; preferred Master’s degree
- Significant supervisory management experience, including managing direct reports
- Experience working within a complex organizational structure and managing work across multiple offices or field sites, spread across large geographic distances
- Experience managing the procurement lifecycle
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and delegate effectively, including to remote staff
- Strong computer skills required – particularly in terms of using, creating, editing, and manipulating Excel files
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strongly preferred: Experience with work in a research organization conducting or supporting data collection
- Strongly preferred: 1 year minimum experience in a field-level programmatic role
- Strongly preferred: experience with USAID rules and regulations
- Familiarity with basic randomized control trial methodology
- Exceptional analytical and organizational skills, detail-oriented
- Team leader but collaborative
- Proven skill in negotiation and managing complex relationships
If you are interested, please follow the instructions below:
Please send a cover letter and detailed CV, 3 references, daytime phone number(s), and email address.
Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
Applications can be submitted to any of our branch offices,
or by email to Career email@example.com
by post office using P.O Box 373, Busia, Area Code 50400, Kenya July.
If you submit by email, please ensure that the subject line reads: CPOM, REF NO: FK-20152013.03.01.
All applicants will be considered for this position. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Cross-Project Operations Manager. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.