ICRISAT Research Technician Career kenya in Kiboko Kenya, March 2014
Vacancy: Research Technician – ICRISAT
About our organization
ICRISAT is a non-profit, apolitical, international organization for science-based agricultural research for development. Established in 1972, it is one of the 15 Centres of the Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), and supported by more than 48 governments, foundations, and development banks.
ICRISAT with its Headquarters located in India has regional centres and research teams in Asia and Sub- Saharan Africa.
For further details please visit our website www.icrisat.org.
ICRISAT Regional Office for ESA is located in Nairobi, Kenya and is currently seeking a qualified candidate to fill the locally recruited position of a Research Technician.
About the position: The Research Technician will be responsible for providing technical support to the Scientist – Legume Breeding.
Primary duties and responsibilities
- Manage the Legumes Breeding activities at ICRISAT’s Field Research Station in Kiboko (Makueni County) including land allocation, labour, budgeting, machinery, assets.
- Plant and manage legume and cereal field research trials , husbandry and field sanitation
- Data Collection, entry and analysis for the ESA region and maintenance of database.
- Management of on farm trials and report writing.
- Procurement of farm inputs and consumables.
- Capacity building of farmers, students and other collaborators.
- Germplasm collection, characterization, rejuvenation and maintenance
- Recruit and supervise casuals at the field station
- Carry out administrative duties at the station.
- Carry out on station renovations.
- Supervise, monitor, collect data and organize evaluation and field days for on farm trials.
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture or a related field, with at least 2 years relevant technical experience.
- Experience in a research environment, specifically in field layout, data analysis, and field crops management.
- Computer literacy in MS Office.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- Strong English language skills, both spoken and written.
Terms of offer
We offer a collegial, diverse and gender-sensitive working environment, and we strongly encourage applications from qualified women. This position is remunerated on Local terms.
The appointment will be for an initial period of three (3) years, subject to a six (6) months’ probation period.
The position will be based in Kiboko.
How to apply
Applications will be considered until 28th March 2014.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about ICRISAT and World Agroforestry Centre by accessing our web sites www.icrisat.org and www.worldagroforestry.org