Global Head of Design and Construction Career kenya in Nairobi Kenya July 2013
Number of Positions: 1
About Bridge International
Bridge International Academies was conceived in 2007 out of the belief that giving every child access to a high quality education would have the greatest impact on reducing poverty worldwide.
With that guiding insight, Bridge International developed a strategy that would enable it to launch a large-scale network of high-quality, ultra low-cost, for-profit primary schools.
Operating a network of schools supported by a strong central headquarters gives Bridge International the scale, experience, and capacity to invest in systems of management, support, training, and innovation that allows individual schools to dramatically increase their effectiveness.
Using this model, Bridge International is able to profitably deliver high-quality education for $4 per child per month. This ensures that its academies will continue to successfully serve its communities as long as parents value the educational service provided.
The first Bridge International Academy launched successfully in Kenya July in 2009 and 60 academies will be operating in Kenya July in January 2013. Through rapid and strategic expansion, Bridge International will provide a quality education to over a million students in the coming years.
About this position
Overall responsibility for current Bridge International Design and Construction programs, all research and planning to insure that our design and construction, facilities maintenance programs and all facets of the company that directly impact or support the design and construction team support the mission and business model of Bridge International Academies.
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Insure that the regional design and construction departments are meeting or exceeding all required work plans and standards.
- Insure that all academies meet the design and construction requirements for informal schools in all regions to include compliance with all permitting regulations.
- Optimization of the engineering, architectural, design and construction process system wide.
- Coordination with our marketing, government relations, land, operations, and supply chain departments to insure proper coordination, communication and execution of all plans and processes.
- Work with all constituents to insure that all material supply requirements are met, and all systems and processes that insure the proper upkeep of existing facilities are in place
- Review and coordinate all of the facility upgrade, expansion and refurbishment plans for existing schools.
- Coordinate with the Land Department in all regions to properly plan work flow and staffing levels based on projected openings for new Bridge Academies.
- Insure a proper compliance and auditing system is in place for the procurement and delivery of construction materials. Insure compliance with all building standards in all regions while insuring that we remain within the financial business model required to drive school profitability.
- Coordinate all current and go forward design activities to insure that we are building the best academy possible in all regions given the supply chain, available materials, business model requirements for that region, and local conditions that may affect the design or upkeep needs of our academies
- Review financial statements and insure the proper flow of funds throughout the construction on process. Manage productivity and activity reports, and other performance data to measure cost effectiveness and goal achievement and to determine areas needing cost reduction and programme improvement.
- Determine the priority for technology and process improvements, based on growth forecasts while insuring our ability to scale our growth while maintaining all cost, quality and production demands.
- Establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives, and procedures, conferring with the relevant Heads of Departments as necessary.
- Work with other Heads of Departments to ensure all timelines are met in relation to the construction of schools in various regions.
- Monitor the costs to ensure budgetary limits are maintained on all school construction projects.
- Keep abreast of the activities of design and construction opportunities in the market and network extensively with the leaders and innovators as well as the appropriate government ministries to insure that we are always ahead of needed or desired adjustments to our model.
- Manage the operational risk through the diligent application of internal controls and pro-active action to keep within agreed key performance indicators. Hold monthly reviews of activity and risk assessments with the teams in the department across all regions.
- Obtain and maintain strong contacts in the design and construction community to be able to identify potential resources and support to insure that Bridge Academies are consistently reviewing and testing advanced design ideas and construction techniques.
- Liaise with the relevant government ministries and other international resources on design and construction, including heavy site construction processes and techniques, geotechnical engineering practices, civil engineering and architectural design processes, codes and regulations pertaining to land development and construction;
- Drive the forward planning of the engineering and design processes in all regions to insure that we are delivering the best possible product within the financial model required within the Bridge financial model.
- Wide experience in design and construction and/or project development;
- knowledge of the building codes and other government regulations;
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with local suppliers, architects and other trade professionals.;
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain new relationships with key leaders in community, commercial and/or industrial markets.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in Design and Construction, including at least at least 3 years of experience in a senior management role for a large multinational organization.
- Bachelor of Science in Design or Construction Management, or related field or a Business Management Degree.
- Must possess excellent management and organizational skills and ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to communicate complex ideas concisely
- Exceptional negotiation skills
- Team oriented and hands on approach to land and construction aspects
- Solid attention to detail.
- Strategic Thinking
- Planning and organizing skills
- Information gathering skills
- Analytical and interpretation skills
- Problem solving/decision making and judgment skills
- People management skills
- Ability to be adaptable and flexible
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong commitment to BIA’s mission.
In order to be considered for this position all candidates must register and upload their CV’s on our website at www.bridgeinternationalacademies.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
NB: Remember to subscribe to get email updates of a new Career kenya vacancies.Subscribe down here