icipe – African Insect Science for Food and Health is an intergovernmental organisation funded by governmental aid agencies, UN organisations and private foundations to carry out research and training in environmentally sound and sustainable management of arthropods for improving health and agricultural productivity in the tropics.
icipe has 400 staff to support its research and capacity building programmes located at various sites in Kenya and Ethiopia.
icipe wishes to urgently recruit a suitable person to fill the position of Clerk of Works, Design and Construction Projects at ICIPE.
Ref. No. NRS/71/082014
The position is tenable in Nairobi, Kenya at the icipe Duduville campus.
This is a two-year contract, with a possibility of extension after successfully completing a six-month probation period of the first contract.
A competitive compensation package will be offered to the right candidate.
Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
Overall purpose of the job: The Clerk of Works will oversee all construction works of icipe at various sites in Kenya (but primarily in Nairobi and Mbita Point) under the direction of the icipe Project Manager.
The primary duty shall be to act as a Clerk of Works working under the overall direction of the icipe Project Manager to define, monitor and report on range of design and construction projects.
The Clerk of Works shall act as the full-time on-site representative of the icipe Project Manager to ensure that the project development process previously defined in the project implementation plan is followed closely.
The Clerk of Works shall report to the icipe Project Manager, who in turn reports to icipe’s Director of Finance and Administration (DFA).
The Clerk of Works shall liaise closely with and assist the icipe Project Manager in:
(a) defining programme requirements,
(b) monitoring development of construction contract documents by consultants,
(c) initiating Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for consultant and construction contracts,
(d) managing scope changes,
(e) responding to requests for payment and extensions of time for completion etc.,
(f) overseeing the commissioning, training and take-over process, and
(g) preparing project reports for senior management.
The Clerk of Works shall at all times communicate with the icipe Project Manager by phone and in writing (email memos, weekly/monthly reports).
In support of the icipe Project Manager, the Clerk of Works shall record and report progress on costs, schedule, deviations and information necessary to keep a comprehensive project record through all stages of project implementation.
At times when the icipe Project Manager is not present on-site, and within certain pre-defined limits, the Clerk of Works may be authorised to make certain decisions (as required and as pre-defined), to advance the project.
The Clerk of Works, by his/her personality and attitude, shall make a vital contribution to the successful working of the project implementation team, including the lead consultants, contractor(s) and icipe support staff. As every other member of the Construction Team, the Clerk of Works is expected to carry out his/her duties with reasonable care, due diligence and dispatch.
The Clerk of Works shall periodically assist other members of the project implementation team in accordance with overall direction provided by the icipe Project Manager.
- Computer skills in the major Microsoft Office software for word processing, spreadsheet, presentations and email.
- Skills in CAD and/or graphics package shall be an added advantage.
- Organising skills in compiling information for presentations and update reports by icipe Project Manager.
- Skill in evaluating costs, quality and schedule requirements.
Knowledge required for performing the job:
- Knowledge and practical experience in project development, extending from the definition of requirements, through preliminary and concept designs, design development, plans and specifications, costing, value engineering, quality control, cost control, scheduling, construction management, commissioning, take-over and document management. This knowledge and experience are gained through structured training at the post secondary level and through extensive participation in the project development process as a site project manager or assistant project manager.
- Knowledge and practical experience in managing design and construction projects of significant scope comprising new building and renovation projects with special focus on electrical, mechanical and plumbing (EMP) systems. This experience should have been gained through training at college or in a university and increasingly responsible roles in the design and construction industry over a number of years.
- Knowledge in mechanicals and specific, on-site experience in EMP-type engineering projects.
- Knowledge and practical experience in participating in a tender call process for constant and construction contracts including RFPs for services, lump sum and unit price contracts, bid evaluation, recommendation for contract award, requests for payment, evaluation etc. This knowledge and experience should have been gained through structured training at college level and through participation in the project development process for public or semi-public institutions.
Requirements / Qualifications
- Degree or Higher National Diploma in construction related courses such as Construction Management.
- Minimum experience of 5 years in site supervision in a variety of construction jobs.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a scientific and multicultural environment.
- Fastidious attention to detail and quality.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
This position reports to the icipe Project Manager.
The selected candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.
How to Apply
All applications must arrive via email on or before the 3rd September 2014.
Please quote the job reference number NRS/71/082014 on the email subject line. Interested applicants should submit:
(a) a confidential cover letter,
(b) detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail addresses, fax numbers), and
(c) a one-page write-up on how you consider yourself suitable for the job, to:
icipe is an Equal Opportunity Employer