Aug 2017 Career Description Special Needs Education Trainers in Mbita, Homa Bay
Job Vacancy: Special Needs Education Trainers in Mbita, Homa Bay
Job Description: Special Needs Education Trainers in Mbita, Homa Bay
Education Effect Africa (EEA)
Job Title: Special Needs Education Trainers
Location: Mbita Sub-County, Homa Bay County, Kenya
Application Closing Date: 30th August 2017
Reports To: Lead SNE consultant
Salary Range: Commensurate to work experience and academic qualifications
Contract type: Short term consultancy
Who We Are: Education Effect Africa (EEA) is a Kenyan non-governmental organization focused on providing children living in marginalized areas with high quality education.
Since our inception in 2013, Education Effect Africa has been working with disadvantaged communities living in informal settlements of Nairobi and rural areas of Central, Western and Nyanza regions of Kenya.
Education Effect Africa has been working in Mbita Sub County implementing ECD infrastructural and educational projects since 2014.
School for All (SFA) project: Education Effect Africa has secured funding for the implementation of the School for All (SFA) project between May 2017 and December 2018.
The main objective of the project is to improve educational and life opportunities of children living with disabilities through research, improvement and promotion of the Inclusive Education Programme of Special Needs Education in public schools.
The project targets 11 schools and communities in the rural and semi-arid areas of Gembe, Rusinga and Mfangano Islands, Mbita Constituency in Homa Bay County.
Job Purpose: Education Effect Africa is actively seeking for qualified and experienced SNE trainers who will undergo a training for trainers (ToT) and will then be charged with designing and conducting an SNE training for teachers in Mbita Sub-county.
The trainers will work with teachers in our partner schools to ensure the following:
- Attitudes and perception of the teachers towards children with special needs improve
- The teaching methods employed by the teachers in the classrooms are inclusive and cater for all the children in the classrooms
- Teachers are equipped with skills on how to better handle children with disability within and outside the classrooms.
The key responsibilities of the Special Needs Education Trainers will be to:
- Design detailed agenda for trainings and training materials
- Work with teachers in identification of appropriate intervention for children with diverse needs
- Assist teachers and parents in designing of appropriate interventions (tailor made) for the children
- Provide professional support to stakeholders on the implementation of designed tools to support the intervention processes of children with diverse needs
- Train teacher on special needs and pedagogical aspects
- Write, share with stakeholders (teachers, head teachers and parents) and submit reports
Education, knowledge, technical skills, experience and desirable requirements
- Minimum of a Diploma in Education preferably Special Needs Education. Those with a higher qualification will be given priority.
- Applicants with a P1 certificate will also be considered.
- Good computer skills – MS office and internet application
- Experience in training, coaching and mentoring team members will be an added advantage
- Experience in advocacy and sensitization will be an added advantage
- Applicants should have certificate of good conduct or have applied (to avail receipts)
- Applicants should show proof of successful work with children with disabilities, teachers and parents
- Knowledge on disability and children’s acts and inclusion practices is a MUST
- Applicants should have good written and spoken English and should possess good report writing skills
- Applicants should be able to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Applicants from Mbita and its environs are highly encouraged to apply.
Contract and Level of Involvement: The successful applicants will be expected to attend a two- week ToT training from 25th September, 2017 till 6th October, 2017.
Successful applicants will, after the training, be required to carry out a pilot training for teachers in October, 2017.
Upon review of performance by lead SNE expert, successful candidates will be involved in full trainings and coaching sessions for teachers in 2018.
Education Effect Africa will cater for travel logistics of the trainers during field visits
How to Apply
All application letters together with detailed CVs including names of three referees and expected remuneration for the above advertised assignment should be addressed to
Education Effect Africa,
P.O. Box 52199-00100,
and sent by email to email@example.com not later than 30th August, 2017.
The application should also include a two-page essay on the state of Special Needs Education in Kenya.
Please indicate clearly on the subject line of the email the position you are applying for.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please consider your application unsuccessful if you don’t hear from Education Effect Africa after 2nd September, 2017.