CARE Somalia Education Technical Advisor, Social Change Advisor and Engineering Manager Career kenyas in Garowe or Hargeisa in Somalia 2013
CARE Somalia is an International NGO working in Somalia.
CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, through its strategic goal to reduce poverty by empowering women, enhancing access to resources and services, and improving governance.
Led by CARE in partnership with ADRA and 9 local NGOs, the Somali Girls Education Promotion Project (SOMGEP) is an innovative project aimed at improving and increasing access to education for some of Somalia’s most educationally disadvantaged children: rural (sedentary and nomadic) girls.
CARE Somalia program is seeking applications from qualified candidates for the positions of Social Change Advisor, Education Technical Advisor and Engineering Manager to implement the SOMGEP Project.
The positions will be based in Garowe or Hargeisa in Somalia.
Education Technical Advisor
The position will manage the education component of the project on a day to day basis, working closely with all area managers in the rural program on the implementation of the project outputs.
The post holder will focus on recruitment, training and support to teachers, construction of culturally appropriate child/girl friendly learning facilities and strengthening Ministry of Education policies and Quality Assurance function to support delivery of a relevant, quality education for rural girls in primary and secondary schools.
- Ensuring that project activities are planned in line with the priorities of the ministries and in are in line with the Memorandum of Understanding;
- Conduct a recruitment campaign for female teacher training targeting secondary school graduates from rural areas and existing unemployed female teachers;
- Conduct review of existing primary and secondary school curriculum and make recommendations to make them more gender sensitive and relevant for rural girls;
- Develop and deliver a Training of Trainers package to train partners and Ministry of Education staff in conducting training for CECs and head teachers on fundraising, school and CEC governance and management;
- Provide technical support to EMIS unit to strengthen data collection and availability of data for use at district and regional levels in collaboration with M&E Manager.
A post graduate degree in Education or in a relevant field and a minimum of three years experience working in Somalia or the Horn of Africa is essential.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a good grasp of programming principles with focus on secondary education supported by a strong understanding of gender and social change issues in communities in Somalia.
Knowledge of EC, USAID and other donor requirements and understanding of the Somalia culture and political background will be essential.
The post holder will demonstrate experience of managing partnership/institutional strengthening programs and designing and delivering training programs.
S/he will have the ability to develop strong collaborative relations across the organization.
Social Change Advisor
The position will be responsible for ensuring the program implements a suitable approach to social change in rural communities, and stimulates a constructive dialogue about girls’ and other marginalized youth’s access to education and the specific socio-cultural and economic barriers.
The position will be CAREs interlocutor with key stakeholders in the program, including civil society leaders, local NGOs, religious leaders and communities.
- Work with key stakeholders in Somaliland, Puntland and Mogadishu governments to advocate for girls education;
- Work with the advisory council members in establishing joint advocacy plans and provide support to implementing these;
- Together with Area Managers ensure that work of partners is in line with the project plan, and well synchronized with other events of the project;
- Organize and/or participate in research on social change;
- Work with the initiative manager, and education advisor to develop training materials for all trainings and deliver training to local partners, project staff, religious leaders, women, and Community Education Committees.
The post holder will have a graduate diploma in sociology, religious affairs, gender, rural development or equivalent.
S/he will have proven experience of organizing trainings, dialogues, and developing training materials.
A strong interest and understanding of gender and social change issues in communities in Somalia is essential.
S/he will have an in-depth appreciation of Islamic teachings, with particular focus on the role of education in Islam.
The role will require a Somali speaker with strong communication skills and demonstrable ability to forge collaborative relations across the organization.
Reporting to the Girls Education Initiative Manager, this position will be responsible for all construction work under the project.
The main construction will include classrooms for primary and secondary schools as well as water and sanitation facilities for the schools.
- Guide technical staff in the design of the entire project infrastructure; measurement/costing of structures and engagement of contractors where required;
- Prepare and/or review drawings, technical specifications and Bill of Quantities for infrastructure under the program;
- In close consultation with the procurement unit, lead the bid analysis for civil works when required;
- Supervise all construction activities including on-site checks of the execution of civil works, and of quality and quantity control, and provide advice on remedial actions as required.
The post holder will have a university degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent and a minimum of three years progressive experience in a similar role with an NGO, UN or government institution.
S/he will have proven experience in project design, civil engineering works and a strong command of English complemented by strong computer skills specifically, AutoCAD or other design packages, MS Word and Excel.
The incumbent will have proven project management experience and an appreciation of donor requirements such as — EU and DFID.
Overall Competencies: Commitment, Excellence, Diversity and Respect, Integrity and Accountability
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 4th 2013 quoting the Career kenya title and reference
number for the specific position.
All applications should be accompanied by a CV with daytime telephone contacts and contact details for three referees.
CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer, promoting gender, equity and diversity, therefore women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.